Thursday, June 27, 2013

I'm Back!

Hello out there . . . I'm back.  Not sure who I'm even talking to.  I don't have any followers or readers that I'm aware of.   Regardless, I'm back after a long absence.  

I could blame my absence on being busy, but that wouldn't be true.  We did move across the country from California to Illinois (which was no small feat), but I'm currently jobless and we don't have kids yet, so I should technically have lots of free time for creative projects and blogging.  

But . . . 

I stopped blogging, partially, because it started to feel like a chore.  Not the fun, creative outlet I wanted it to be.

I also kept comparing my site to all those well-designed, glitzy blogs out there.  Of course that just made me feel dissatisfied and critical of my own.

I'm also not a great writer.  It doesn't come easy for me.  It takes me forever to write a post.  I'm constantly editing, reediting, tweaking, checking my grammar and spelling, etc. (and no doubt there are STILL lots of typos).  I spend days writing and rewriting the same silly posts.   Then, when I am finally finished, I don't even like what I said.  It doesn't sound like me.  I'm afraid I sound really dorky and inauthentic, which makes me self-concious.

Not only that, but I thought this would be a crafting DIY blog, but documenting step-by-step instructions and taking detailed photos started to seem like a chore too (I realize I sound very lazy).   Not to mention that I don't know how to do anything well enough to teach someone else.  Everything has already been done.  Just look at Pinterest.  

So, I'm going to restart this blog but with fewer words, more photos, and lots of links to other sites.  I mean, I spend hours trolling Pinterest and lifestyle blogs anyway, so why not share with you some of the things I find.  I will, of course, throw in some of my own creative ideas and projects too.

I'm also not going to create projects just for the sake of this blog.  I wast starting to come up with projects just so I would have something to blog about (like that stupid "Bucket List Board" - ugh, more on that later).  From now on, I'm only going to do projects that I genuinely want to do and have interest in.  Not because I need blog content.  I mean, it's not like I'm paid to do this anyway.  It is a hobby, not a job.  

I'm also not going to agonize over my writing style and grammar.  I'm not a writer.  Or an artist.  Or a graphic designer.  Or a photographer.  Or anything else really.  Just someone who loves creative and whimsical things, and someone who needs a hobby.  Well, what I really need is a job or a kid, but a hobby will have to suffice in the meantime.  

So . . . short story long . . . I started this blog for pleasure.  If it starts to feel like a chore or not good enough, what's the point.  It is supposed to be fun, silly, whimsical, and random.  No rules.  No perfection.  Just fun.  Which I think is totally fitting given that I have the word "whim" right in the title:

whim·si·cal  
Adjective
  1. Playfully quaint or fanciful, esp. in an appealing and amusing way.

whim  
Noun
  1. A sudden desire or change of mind, esp. one that is unusual or unexplained.




P.S.    I just realized I said I would "restart this blog with fewer words, more photos" yet this is the longest post I've ever written and I did not include one single photo.  Ooops.  Guess I'm not off to a very good start.






No comments:

Post a Comment